- Andromeda at the Ready, 1984: Caught in the crossfire of the “tanker wars” in the Persian Gulf, an English-flagged merchant vessel has been damaged by mines and is limping to the nearest friendly port. Iranian forces however believe she is carrying contraband and intend to board or sink her. The only available British asset in the area is the frigate HMS Andromeda. Can she alone protect the merchant?
- The Grecale Affair, 2017: The Italy-Tunisia dispute over the Strait of Sicily heats up again. The Italian navy dispatches the Grecale with air support to monitor Tunisian naval activity and respond to provocations. Sounds simple… except Tunisia is far more committed to this standoff and the Med is full of neutral traffic, so ROEs are tight.
- Rebel Yell, 2015: A bloody rebellion in the ranks of the Slovakian army has been largely contained and the remaining rebels have barricaded themselves on an airbase, with modern SAMs and fighters. Can a hastily assembled NATO task force break into the base and recapture it?
- SEAL Submarine Exercise, 2010: An exercise for an option that officially the USN “never uses”: deliver SEALs to foreign territory and destroy a tactical target.
- Facing the Dragon, 2014: An AAW-centric view of a major Chinese assault towards Taiwan, and a massive brawl in its own right. Not for airwar beginners 🙂
- Team Worden, 1983: Tensions over the ownership of Pratas Island (whose possession dramatically affects the range of legal territorial waters) have risen between China and Taiwan. Intel reports suggest the PRC may be planning an assault on the island to force the issue. To discourage Chinese intentions the USN dispatches a mixed surface/sub force to the area. If the Chinese are bluffing, this token force should suffice. If they’re not…
- On Stalin’s Order, 1945: The ruins of WW2 are still smoldering in Czechoslovakia, and the triumphant Red Army is racing to seize the country’s strategically vital western industrial sector. However, western allied forces are still in this area and they won’t just pack and leave. Soviet forces are ordered to push ahead regardless. Will the Third World War start while the Second is barely over?
- US-UK Fellowship Exercise, 2012: So you stalk Akulas for breakfast? Here’s a little exercise to really test your silent-hunting skills. The most modern attack subs of the US and Royal navies go mano a mano with no holds barred. May the best driver win.
- Red Episodes: Recon in Force, 1989: Fifth in the “Red Episodes” series of WW3 from the Soviet point of view. Norwegian FAC hit-and-run ambush attacks from the countless northern fjords have been very successful against Northern Fleet forces, so much so that the Kirov SAG has been assigned to root them out of their hiding holes and neutralize them permanently. The Kirov has its main SSM launcher damaged but still leads a powerful surface group. Can it do the job, or are the fjords too tough?
As always, the community scenario pack is available at the WarfareSims download page: http://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=1876
Author: Miguel Molina
This is the fifth scenario in a series of little scenarios based on hypothetical WWIII between WP and NATO.
All these scenarios are small and playable from Soviet side only.
Note: Run the scenario for at least 1 second before starting to give orders to units.
From : HQ Red Banner
To: Cmdr SAG Kirov Group
Despite our well planned and executed operations against Norwegian forces some enemy ships have escaped from us, some of them are using the Northern fjords to hide attack our small convoys using ‘guerilla’ tactics, a couple of our troop transports has been sunk and it is now a priority task to search and destroy them, due to limited access to air units and the unexpected bad weather our air support for this mission is very limited.
Enemy submarine presence is unknown
Proceed to the Northern Norwegian coast and locate all remnants naval forces of Norway.
Good luck Comrade.
UNITED STATES vs. UNITED KINGDOM
LOCATION: AUTEC RANGE ANDROS ISLAND, BAHAMAS
DATE/TIME: 26 JAN 2012 / 14:00 ZULU / 09:00 JULIET
PLAYABLE SIDES: US NAVY, ROYAL NAVY
A game of cat-and-mouse between the two most modern submarines from the US Navy and the Royal Navy during an exercise in the Bahamas.
The crew of the Virginia-class, fast-attack submarine USS New Mexico (SSN-779) joins the Royal Navy’s newest Astute-class, fast-attack submarine HMS Astute (S119) for the Fellowship 2012 exercise where the boats try to out-flank, out-maneuver and out-wit each other.
Do not be the mouse. Find and kill them before they get you.
It will not be easy to kill without being killed.
Soviet Union vs. Allied Forces
Date/Time: 1st July, 1945 / 06:00:00 Zulu
Playable Sides: Soviet Union
This scenario assumes that the short post-war division of Czechoslovakia was far from what Moscow expect and agreed upon on Yalta Conference. Soviet politburo agreed with Stalin to speed up the integration of Czechoslovakia into the Soviet sphere of influence. Recovering heavy industry in the western region of country was simply too important to be overlooked. Only remaining problem are few allied units that are still present in the area.
Orders for Cmdr Soviet Air Force
As STAVKA informed us, large offensive is prepared to secure the western territory of Czechoslovakia. Our air force will play a crucial role in the destruction of railway infrastructure. This is a preliminary measure to prevent possible allied reinforcements from the west. Enemy forces consist mostly of US land forces that liberated the western region. Enemy fighters are piloted by a mixture of Czechoslovakian liberalist and UK RAF pilots.
Unknown number of fighters stationed at Plzen-Line AB. We suspect that allies are operating the more recent versions of British Spitfires and possibly some of the captured German BF-109s (now designated as S-199). We expect that the most of our mission objectives will be defended by light AAA batteries, captured German flak might be also operational at certain locations. Intel also shows that allies still operate one of the German Wurzburg Riese radars stationed west from Plzen.
12x Il-4, 16x Pe-2 bombers.
8x Yak-3, 16x Mig-3 fighters.
All units are stationed at Praha-Kbely airbase.
Praha and Praha-Kbely airbase are defended by Red Army AAA batteries.
One of the captured German Wurzburg Riese radar is also operational near the Praha-Kbely AB.
Primary objective is to destroy several railway stations and one railway bridge to cut off Plzen from rest of the railway network. Secondary objective is to destroy Wurzburg Riese radar west of Plzen.
Destroy Svojsin and Plana railway stations to cut off the railway track further to Cheb and German Schirnding. On railway track from direction of Furth Im Wald destroy the strategically located Stankov railway station. Southern railway tracks from Bayerisch Eisenstein have to be cut off at Klatovy, Nepomuk and Horazdovice railway stations to mitigate possible rerouting of transports via other tracks. Finally, destroy the Kaznejov railway bridge to prevent reinforcements from the north.
To blind the allied forces, destroy the Wurzburg Riese radar located at Vejprnice.
Do not destroy Plzen-Line airbase as it is crucial part of our future plans.
Use all available equipment to destroy the mission objectives. You have twelve hours to accomplish the mission. Loadout of bombers and fighters can be varied after initial strike as the Praha-Kbely airbase is well supplied. Do not under any circumstances destroy the Plzen-Line AB.
Command & Signal
Command: Praha-Kbely AB
Signal: EMCON State C, unrestricted emissions
This scenario assumes relations between Taiwan and the People’s Republic of China have seriously deteriorated in the last few months. Both the United States and Taiwan are on alert in case China attempts to attack Taiwan or its territories in the South China Sea.
A delta template .ini file has been included in the .zip file to assist in updating the scenario to any future versions of the database.
*** FLASH *** FLASH *** FLASH ***
ATTN: Commanding Officer, Worden
Tensions between Taiwan and the People’s Republic of China have increased significantly in recent weeks. In particular, the disagreement over the ownership of Pratas Island (which is fairly insignificant in and of itself, but whose possession dramatically affects the range of a country’s territorial waters) has become quite belligerent.
Intelligence reports suggest the People’s Republic of China may be planning some kind of assault against Pratas Island in the immediate future. For various reasons, the President wants to make sure this attack does not occur, or, if it does occur, that it is not a success.
Several Chinese warships are in your region. Chinese submarines are also known to have sortied and one or more Romeo-class boats may be near your task force.
The Soviet Union has at least one submarine in your area. The intentions of the Soviet Union at this time are unknown.
Your task force consists of CG 18 Worden, FF 1070 Downes, and SSN 711 San Francisco. No other American vessels are available to assist you.
Taiwan is on high alert. A Taiwanese destroyer is on patrol near Pratas Island. Expect Taiwan to sortie aircraft to conduct patrols in the area around the island.
Worden and Downes should proceed to the area near Pratas Island marked on your tactical map. Conduct patrols and remain in the area until you receive further orders. "Show the flag" and show the Chinese that we stand by our allies.
San Francisco should patrol the waters to the northwest of Pratas Island.
If the Chinese attack Pratas Island or Taiwanese forces, you are free to attack any Chinese forces engaged in hostilities or which appear to be a direct threat to you to or our Taiwanese allies.
Do not initiate hostilities with the Chinese unless they attack Taiwanese forces or your forces.
Special weapons release is not anticipated.
COMMAND AND SIGNAL
Signal: EMCON State C (Unrestricted Emissions) for surface vessels; EMCON State A (No Emissions) for San Francisco